Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Healing of the Body and the Mind

The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind.  ~G.K. Chesterton



On December 1st, I had what was to be a semi common knee surgery. Although I expected some pain and about 6 weeks total for healing, I felt that the surgery was needed as my knee cap was not aligned properly, therefor hurting when I walked. Two days after my surgery I was diagnosed with a Pulmonary Embolism, my heart dropped as I was so scared to think I had blood clots in my lungs. I was put on several different medications and sent home with pain medicine, blood clot medicine, and oxygen. Though the healing process was slow, my lungs began to heal, however my knee would would not close up. The day after Christmas, after a night of headaches, extreme chills, and sweats, I called my doctor concerned about a possible infection. I met him at the Emergency room for him to just look at it. I was immediately admitted into the hospital and scheduled for emergency surgery that night for a staph infection that had set into my knee. Waking up from this surgery, I could feel the depression setting in, knowing that this additional surgery was going to set my healing process back a few more weeks. After one night in the hospital and a load of antibiotics poured into me to kill the infection, it was discovered that I was allergic to the antibiotic and was now in acute Kidney failure. Again my heart dropped and depression grew stronger. I remained in the hospital for 2 more days and was then sent home with PIC line and daily IV antibiotics to heal my knee wound as well as medication for my kidneys, which are now back to normal function. On January 7th, after a routine visit to the orthopedic, I was again told I needed immediate surgery on my knee again as the wound was not closing and was susceptible to more infection. It was decided that the best way to close the wound which was approximately 4 inches long, 2 inches deep, and 2 inches across was to use a wound vac. I went into surgery that evening to have the wound flushed again and the vac placed. Since this surgery it has been a very slow recovery. My wound vac gets changed 3 times per week which is very painful, however the wound itself is now approximately 2 and 1/2 inches long, 1/2 inch deep, and 1 inch wide. I have been in constant pain and unable to perform the daily basics that most people take for granted, alone. For a what was suppose to be a small surgery and 6 week recovery I am now at 3 surgeries, blood clots, kidney failure, staff infection, and 11 weeks out in recovery with at least 4 more weeks of the wound vac which is connected to me 24/7 and has to go wherever I go. My IV antibiotic will end this week, however they will continue to keep the PIC port in for the weekly blood draws as I go onto an oral antibiotic. I have continued to slowly go into a deeper state of depression as can be imagined with the set backs that I have had. The silver lining is that the wound is getting smaller, I am coming off of the IV and I have been able to learn to maneuver a walker to get around rather than just the wheelchair. I want to thank all of my friends and family who have been there to support me during this whole ordeal and who will continue to help and support as this journey continues. I know I am not the easiest person to deal with in normal circumstances, let alone with the detours that I have had to take with this injury. I will try to keep you posted up to date as I continue to heal and I appreciate the continued prayers for my healing.

2 comments:

  1. OMFG Vicki, I knew you were running hurdles but I had no idea the extent of it. I will be sending positive vibes your way. Any time we see complications from surgery, it makes us appreciate when things go smoothly.. so much more! I hope you are healing and you've seen the worst of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw you write really really well.. I enjoy reading your posts. Along with your sense of humor, I can sense a natural intelligence. Now, what the hell are you doing with Lyle... JOKE.. JUST A JOKE... ! I loves my Lyleser lol

    ReplyDelete